Category :

K ombucha is something I've always wanted to try my hand at. I finally found someone giving away a SCOBY so I'm brewing it now. Kombucha is similar to beer. You take sugar and expose it to yeast for fermentation. That's were the similarities end. Here is all you need to make Kombucha. A large jar. Mine is a pickle jar. 1 qt water boiled. 1 qt water boiled and cooled. 4 tea bags, Black Tea for this batch. And 3/4 cup of granulated sugar....and a SCOBY.


Here she is. SCOBY stands for Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and yeast. Yeast, bacteria, and yeast. Like a sour beer. Kombucha is very low alcohol content and get diluted with juices usually.



Here are the 4 tea bags steeping for 20 minutes in the water I boiled. I had sanitized the pickle jar with my beer sanitizer, Iodophor. After 20 minutes, the sugar was added in and stirred to dissolve.


After the tea cooled, in went the other quart of water and the SCOBY.








And here it will sit in the dark and still for 5-10 days. The SCOBY will grow to fill the neck of the jar, and eventually split off a daughter SCOBY. Greg has dibs on the first baby. If all goes well, I should have more if anyone is interested.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

/* start */